Govinda Dahal, Ph.D. CFFN Executive Director (2009 – present), Deputy Director (2007 – 2009)
Executive Director of Canada Foundation for Nepal, Dr Dahal, holds a Ph.D. degree in Social Statistics from University of Southampton, a M.A. degree in Demography from Australian National University, and M.A. in Population Studies from Tribhuvan University. He brings substantial experience in working in research, development, organization and leadership from his past responsibilities as:
- Executive Director of Centre for Nepal Studies, UK,
- Associate Statistician at Demographic and Statistical Division of United Nations Economic Commission for Europe,
- Research Consultant at World Health Organization, Switzerland,
- Research Consultant at Department of International Development, Government of UK
- Program Officer at Population Communication Services of the Johns Hopkins University, USA
- Visiting Associate Professor of Population Health, National Institute of Health Sciences, Nepal
- Lecturer and Teacher at Tribhuvan University and various other academic institutions
His proven academic excellence, extensive research experience in population health, health services and policies, education, and his remarkable skills in not only analyzing and synthesizing complex data but also collecting both qualitative information and quantitative data in sensitive areas are his profound assets. He spearheaded one of the most difficult research and data collection project by devising, designing, instrumenting, and executing the population census of the Nepalese ethnic minority in the United Kingdom. He also brings strong experience in institutional collaboration with world class institutions like Oxford University, University of Southampton, World Health Organization, United Nations, Office of National Statistics of the UK. He brings world class experience from the ground of Nepal as well as the industrialized world.
- Challenges in measuring gender and minority populations in ECE Region, Keynote Paper at Economic Commission for Europe, United Nations Economic and Social Council, Geneva, Switzerland, 2006
- Dahal, G, Me, A, Bisogno, E, Challenges in measuring gender and minorities, United Nations Economic Commission for Europe, Global Forum on Gender Statistics, Rome, 2007
Books and Book Chapters
- Dahal GP. Heath Status, In Adhikari KP (ed), Nepalese in the United Kingdom: an Overview, Centre for Nepal Studies UK, 2012.
- Adhikari K, Dahal GP., Dhakal L. and Shrestha R, Demography, In Adhikari KP (ed), Nepalese in the United Kingdom:
an Overview, Centre for Nepal Studies UK, 2012.
- Dahal G.P.,Sexual and Contraceptive Behaviour Among Men in Nepal: The Need for Male-Friendly Reproductive Health Policies and Services, Edwin Mellen Press, New York, U.S.A., 2008
- Dahal G.P., Hennink, M. and Hinde, P.R.A., “Factors Associated with Sexual Activity and Risky Sexual Behaviour among Young Men in Nepal”, In Donta, B., Volgelsong, K.M., Van Look, P.F.A. and Puri, C.P. (eds), Enhancing Male Partnership in Sexual and Reproductive Health (pp. 275-293). Mumbai: National Institute for Research in Reproductive Health, 2005.
- Pottie K, Dahal GP, Georgiades C, Premji K, Hassan G. Do immigrant children and youth face higher rates of bullying, peer aggression and suicide than do non-immigrant children and youth? A systematic review. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health. (Accepted for Publication and in Press)
- Padmadas SS, Amoako Johnson F, Leone T, Dahal GP. Do mobile family planning clinics facilitate vasectomy use in Nepal? Contraception. 2014 Feb 1. pii: S0010-7824(14)00029-8. doi: 10.1016/j.contraception.2014.01.019. [Epub ahead of print]
- Veras M, Pottie K, Cameron D, Dahal GP, Welch V, Ramsay T, Tugwell P.Assessing and comparing global health competencies in rehabilitation students.Rehabil Res Pract. 2013;2013:208187. doi: 10.1155/2013/208187. Epub 2013 Dec 7.
- Dahal GP, Qayyum A, Ferreyra M, Kasim H, Pottie K. Immigrant Community Leaders Identify Four Dimensions of Trust for Culturally Appropriate Diabetes Education and Care. J Immigrant Minority Health. DOI 10.1007/s10903-013-9805-9
- Pottie K., Dahal GP, Logie C., Welch V. “Rapid testing for improving uptake of HIV/AIDS services in people with HIV infection” (Protocol), The Cochrane Library 2011.
- Dahal, G. P. (Expert support), Canadian Guidelines for Immigrant Health: Summary of clinical preventive care recommendations for newly arriving immigrants and refugees to Canada, CMAJ (www.cmaj.ca), June 7 2010.
- Dahal G.P., Johnson F. and Padmadas S.S., “Maternal Smoking and Acute Respiratory Infection Symptoms among Children in Nepal: A Multilevel Analysis”, Journal of Biosocial Science (forth-coming).
- Dahal G.P., Padmadas, S.S. and Hinde, P.R.A., “Fertility Limiting Behaviour and Contraceptive Choice among Men in Nepal”, International Family Planning Perspectives, Volume 34, N0. 1, March 2008.
- Dahal G.P., “Sexual and Reproductive Health Policy and Services for Men in Nepal”. Stupa Journal of Health Sciences, Volume 3 No. 1 & 2, pp. 11-19, 2007.
- Dahal G.P., “Population and Environment Issues in Nepal and the Need for the Community Development Policy”, Contribution to Nepalese Studies, Volume 27 No. 1, pp. 23-50, 2000.
- Dahal G.P., “The Impact of Maternal Education on Child’s Health”, Nepal Population Journal, Volume 8, No. 7, pp.119-126, 1999, September 1999.
- Dahal G.P., “An Insight on the Recommendation of the ICPD Program of Action: An Emerging Challenge to Implement Reproductive Health Policy in Nepal”, Journal of Reproductive Health, Volume 1, No. 1, pp. 32-44, July 1999.
- Pottie K, Medu O, Dahal GP, Radar T, Welch W. Rapid testing approaches to improve uptake of HIV/AIDS services in people vulnerable to HIV infection: An equity-focused systematic review. BMJ (Under review)
- Pottie K, Dahal GP, Medu O, Radar T, Welch W., Tyndall M and Wells G. Rapid testing for improving uptake of HIV/AIDS services in people with HIV infection (Cochrane Systematic Review and Meta Analysis) Cochrane Library (Under review)
- Extent of gender-based violence and its negative reproductive health consequences among women in Nepal, Annual Meeting of Population Association of America, Philedelphia, USA 2005
- Contraceptive behaviour among men in Nepal, Annual Meeting of British Society for Population Studies, University of Leicester, UK, 2004
- Is knowledge of HIV/AIDS translated into behaviour among men in Nepal?, Annual Meeting of Population Association of America, Boston, USA, 2004
- Risky sexual behaviour among young men in Nepal, Annual Meeting of Population Association of America, Minneapolis, USA, 2003
Awards and Scholarships
2002 – 2005: ORS Award, United Kingdom
2001 – 2004: Faculty Scholarship, University of Southampton, United Kingdom
1996 – 1998: Asian Development Bank Award
1989 – 1991: United Nations Population Fund Awards
1991: First Class First in MA, Tribhuvan University