Data from 2008-09 Open Door report of International Educational Exchange published by IIE reported that Nepales students are the 11th largest group of international students in the US and there was 30% increase in the number over the previous year.
Nepalese Rank 11th among International Students in the USA
Institute of International Education Report 2009
Some interesting facts about Nepali students increase in the United States in recent years. The data below are from 2008-09 Open Door report of International Educational Exchange published by IIE.
- Nepali students are the 11th largest group of international students in the US. The total number of international students in the USA for 08/09 was 671,616.
- There are 11,581 students from Nepal which is a 30% increase over the previous year. In 1990 there were only about 600 students from Nepal.
- From South Asia, only India sends more students (103,260) than Nepal which is also the top country in the US for international students.
- A big majority of Nepali students are in undergraduate programs (7,894). Graduate students (2,792).
- California hosted the largest number of international students in the US but for Nepali students, Texas was the top destination – a largest concentration of Nepali students (primarily in Houston and Dallas). Interestingly, Ohio also has a good number of Nepali students.
- While there are 54,487 additional international student come to USA to learn English – only 37 Nepali students came fort hat purpose.
- Among Nepali scholars – 177 came to US in 2007/08 but that number jumped to 329 in 2008/09.
Another interesting fact (political instability and safety concerns may be the reason) – the largest number of American students studying in Nepal, 395, was in 2000/01 but it decreased significantly over the years to a lowest number of only 41 students in 2005/06. There has been some improvements – 87 students in 2006/07 and 187 in 2007/08.
Source: Embassy of the USA, Nepal